Sunday, June 13, 2010

November 23, 2009

We had transfer calls last night and I'm very pleased to say that finally I will be staying with a companion for longer than a transfer! Elder Mortenson and I will both stay here in Sharon Springs. Which means that we'll spend Thanksgiving AND Christmas AND New Years AND his birthday together... I'm gonna have to be a nice companion for the next 6 weeks.

I'm happy to say that things are going well here in Cumming Georgia. This week we had one of the most spiritual lessons of my mission. We went on a team-up with our Elder's Quorum President Brother Ray to teach J** M*****, a friend of a recent convert who I have never met but has come to church about 4 times before I ever got here. Well, as we pulled up to his house there was a note on the door for us. I thought "Great, he's ditched out on us again!" However the note explained that he had been up super late but that he left the door unlocked and is asleep on his couch, so if he doesn't answer he wants us to walk in a wake him up. So... we walked in, however, he was awake. We then proceeded to teach J** about the Atonement. Elder Mortenson shared a really cool experience he's had lately about how he feels very strongly that his Dad is teaching J**'s Dad (who just passed away during the summer) in the spirit world. I talked about the Atonement and how I've felt great gratitude for it in my life and particularly in J's life, and how that knowledge of the Atonement in the only comfort I have in knowing where my brother is and that I WILL see him. Then we committed J** for baptism on January 3rd. He was super hesitant because he hasn't received his answer yet. Then Bro. R** talked about road signs and how sometimes we miss the sign for the street we're looking to turn on because we aren't paying attention. Well, then J** prayed right there, aloud about the date. I felt the spirit flood into the room as he prayed and he said that he felt good. Now, Jan 3rd is a BIG Goal for J**, partly because he's a HUGE smoker and basically and Alchoholic. But we have resources to help him and we'll do what we can to make it all work.

We had one other teaching appointment this week that was... interesting. We went over to J***** M****'s house (he's the 77 year old who loved the BYU channel and could probably beat me up) his wife, C******, has been a challenge, but she's finally sat down with us the last time they ( I was on exchange) went over. This time we started to talk to her and asked her if she'd read any of the BOM yet. I don't remember what her answer was but she started to say that she was really concerned about Elder Mortenson and I. She obviously had a concern but she said she didn't want to share it because we're "young and impressionable." She proceeded to ask us what we study. I told her that I'm currently studying Job and Psalms in the Bible. She asked us if we read in secular stuff and I told her that while we're on our missions we don't read things not put out by the church. She was really concerned about that. Well, she's been reading this book about the FLDS church and it's origins and Joseph Smith who started the church. Well, she knowingly acknowledges that there's a difference between us and the FLDS but she has some really mixed ideas about Joseph Smith. She sees us as having split off from the church that Joseph established and even believes that he was killed because of the "things he was publishing."

Well, I'll tell you what, I set her straight. Without standing up from the couch were I say I told her that what she had been told and read were flat out lies. And with all the vigor of my heart testified to her that Joseph Smith died for the Book of Mormon. I held it in my hands and told her that I knew with NO doubt in my mind that that book cost the lives of Joseph and his brother Hyrum, that it cost the best blood of the 19th Century. With all the love I have for her (and it is enough to fill that room) I told her that if she desired to know for herself that that book was true and if she wished to know the truth about Joseph Smith she would read the Book of Mormon. I told her that her concerns were not going to "shake" me as she had feared. I have examined and continue to examine my religion and find in it the fullness of Christ's gospel. And I have not come here to Georgia to leave my family for 2 years based on a whimsical testimony and ideas "planted" into my mind by a false church. No, I would not that.

C****** still has some major concerns and she's said she'll read the Book of Mormon and pray about it, but, one thing is without a doubt. She knows I know and that is all I can do. The Spirit put the words I spoke into my mouth at the time I needed them, I bear witness of that. I know with the fervor of my heart that gospel of Jesus Christ has come forth that the "fullness of times" or "refreshing" has come to pass. It's going to take a lot more than some false priestcraft book about Joseph Smith to change what I've fought to gain.

Love,

Elder Taylor B. Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment