Monday, August 31, 2009

August 10, 2009

Ican't believe that Summer is almost over... well for you. Things have been incredibly hot here in Georgia and it just so happened to be a week that Elder Hunsaker and I decided to do some walking to 1) save miles on our car and 2) be seen more by the public, People don't really see you when you're behind the windshield of a car... So we did a lot of waving and luckily no one really yelled or threw anything at us. So all in all a good week. We didn't really do much this week in the way of tracting or finding people, we're still trying to get to know the ward, so that is pretty time consuming.

Yesterday in church we started a new type of Prelude thing. This was Sister A*******'s (an older widow in the ward) idea. She saw it done in another ward and just loved it. Well, we had dinner with her a few weeks ago and then again on Saturday. She had already asked me to 'sing the prelude'. What this meant was that about 5 minutes before sacrament meeting started I was to stand about a foot away from the pulpit, not talking to anyone, just looking out into the crowd and then when I bowed my head and raised it Sister A******* would start playing the piano and I would begin singing. Imagining this was a pretty awkward situation to me. And so I asked I thought there should be an announcement or something so that people wouldn't think it was weird that this missionary took it upon himself to entertain the crowd. Well, since it was Sister A*******'s idea and I didn't have the heart to change her idea I just kinda went up there and was talking to the youth speaker and to the Bishopric and finally after standing there for a few minutes the organist asked me if I wanted her to stop and I kindly said that I would appreciate that. So I started singing 'I Need Thee Every Hour' and it all went well, I walked off the stand and the meeting started. Afterwards I had a few ladies come up and talk to me, some people still thought that I just decided to get up there and sing. I hope that they all get the idea next week when some other poor sucker is up there singing... and it better not be me. I even had a few ladies tell me that I shouldn't be a Psychology major and I should be a music major. I smiled and thought about trying to support a family as a music major and chuckled to myself. One lady even told me that I had a beautiful but untrained voice and that with some training I could really go somewhere, she asked me if I'd ever taken lessons and to be nice I said, "yeah, a little bit ;)" All in all the humiliaton was worth making one sweet Sister A*******'s day... and probably week.

It really was a rather uneventful week though, and I'm hoping we can get the ball rolling here soon.

Love you all, (even those that haven't written for a while ;)

Elder Taylor Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment