Monday, August 31, 2009

August 31, 2009

I'm staying in Hamilton Mill, but will be getting a new companion. Also, exciting news, we will have another companionship in our tiny apartment (so much for my personal bathroom). Probably Spanish missionaries, so I may be switched to bike, I cross my fingers (and pray) that that doesn't happen in this area, where everyone lives about 10-15 miles away.

I finally had my first run in with a good ole Southern Baptist. I won't go into to too much detail, but it was quite an experience. We tried to answer his question best we could and tried to transition to teaching and testifying, but he wouldn't allow us to read from the Book of Mormon and went off as soon as we were inviting the spirit in to touch his heart. What's even funnier is that his Methodist friend, who we were actually dropping by to see (he's a Less Active member who was baptized but doesn't really have a testimony, his father is active but his wife is Methodist... maybe someday) was defending us when the Baptist guy told us we weren't praying to his God and that we were "bearing false witness." Well, maybe someday we'll go back, we'll see.

C.S.S.O.T.W.

And the award for the Crazy Southerner of the Week goes to: My black friend who works at Subway. I was on Spanish exchange with my DL Elder Brewer (who I love!) and we were with a Less Active member, we went into Subway and bought a cookie, the lady working there told me that she had been Mormon once. I enquired where she was a member, she told me the Peachtree Corner Ward (that's where my trainer, Elder Amesimeku is right now) but she was like " Yeah, I quit that, I can't believe in no 'Book of Mormon' or Latter-Day Prophets" Well, I had a decision: should enquire why she ever became a Mormon if she doesn't believe in the most foundational and distinctive points of our doctrine? Or should I let her off easy, ask her which church she goes to now and take my cookie and say goodbye.... Because I'm a good boy and KNEW she was crazy I thanked her for my cookie, asked the most popular get to know you question and returned to our table.

Crazy subway lady is rivaled only by a Spanish branch member (in fact, the one who was with us at Subway) who called me the next day and said he needed to talk about some of his "issues" I told I was busy and that I would call him back later. I'm not sure which team he swings for, but he's a nice guy, he's actually a Spanish radio announcer... so if Real is ever looking, he's actually very good. He also speaks Italian and Japanese... maybe that's why he's so crazy, he's got like 4 schizophrenic voices all trying to speak in their own language.

Well, I'm really excited to stay in this ward, I'm starting to make some great bonds... not quite where I was in Lilburn, but with more families. This ward treats us great! I have a personal chiropractor, doctor and a dry cleaner (for half off), I also have a Opthomologist... who knows what kind of stuff I may be taken care off with.

I love you like I love the scriptures: I just can't get enough!
Love,

Elder Taylor Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment